Music Banter - View Single Post - The Profession-al Argument
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojessicat View Post
well then what do you suggest we do? drop out and work a **** job until we decide oh **** I should have gone to college? that sounds like a waste of time to me.

also -- some people value education and don't look at it as just a means for a decent job. love for learning is a way of life. and yes I realize that doesn't require paying insane tuition costs but I think that there is a problem with the whole education system and the way we don't value education as a culture..
If you're going to college "for the experience" that's fine. Just don't expect a job to compensate you well for it.

Right now the job market is shit even for technical majors, what do you think it looks like for general arts majors? I have a cousin that graduated with an amazing GPA in an English major. Right now she's working at a Starbucks from home to try and pay off her student loans until she goes back to school in the fall.

The point isn't that you shouldn't be in school, or even that you shouldn't go into liberal arts. But if you're unsure what you want to do with your life four years down the road, it's better to stay away from something that's going to end up causing you ten years' worth of headaches when you get out.

College isn't for everyone and people that make it out to be the golden highway for people who did well in high school aren't helping you at all. I'm speaking from my own perspective but there's plenty of people -- most of my friends, for example -- who have absolutely no business being anywhere near a college campus at this point in their lives.