Music Banter - View Single Post - P A N droppin' his links...
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Hello zevokes,

So far I have listened to your zevokes MySpace music and Twiddophile, since you said the latter is your most recent. I enjoyed the variety of sounds you use!

The first song that I listened to was "Left Open," which has a mellow light sound with you singing with yourself, correct?

After listening to this song, I was then surprised to listen to the others, all of which I'd classify as electronica mixed with your wide variety of instruments! The songs have a meditative quality to me, since your melodies are usually fairly simple but you introduce many different variations and sounds. Your quick panning left or right made the songs grab my attention. There certainly is a lot in them. I liked the complexity.

"Shoot sprout"...I liked the deep hits at 1:40 and 1:56 or so, and especially the flute with its raspy sound (such as at 2:55).). I think this raspy sound happens when the air flow sets up some strange vibrations. Was that you playing? Have you considered using vocals in some of your purely instrumental songs?

"It's called canvas 3009" (I hope I'm reading my notes correctly from last night)...very quick panning L and R. If I had had a headache, I might have felt that quick L to R to L to R got too much, but I didn't have a headache so I enjoyed you playing with where the sound comes from. Lots of sounds...rasping, scratchy sounds, thunder-like sounds, spluttering. It was a longer song and I didn't hear much cohesiveness from start to finish because it seemed to change a lot. A lot of distortion!

"Maude" song...interesting chanted vocals!

"Twidophile"--definitely sounded the most intricate to me. Bell tones, syncopation, rasps, rapid fire hits. I especially liked a little swooping note you used...perhaps the slide whistle? Sometimes I wished that the lower tones in the song were held longer or were deeper, more ominous. Again, I enjoyed the variety of sounds, which kept my interest. At 2:53 you introduced a new overlapping repetitive motif (counterpoint), which I liked.

Summary: the complexity of your music appeals to me. Despite all that goes on in them, your music somehow still seems soothing...perhaps because of the repetition in it. I'll plan to listen to the rest, too!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote