Music Banter - View Single Post - The Profession-al Argument
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 11:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
I completely disagree with this. The notion that you have to pursue a career in the same field of study as your degree is absurd, but not the notion that you need one. You definitely need one, unless you hope to work a pay by the hour job the rest of your life. The only way I see around it is if you have massive networking skills, or you just have a friend that gets you a job (even then they will tell you to get a degree most of the time). A degree these days is little more than showing you are willing to work hard enough to get one, but it is still basically an essential.
Exactly. Unless you have a trade or happen to be a genius entrepreneur, getting a bachelors in literally anything is better than having no degree at all. With a BA you can always get office-type jobs. Over the years I've worked with tons of editors, account managers, sales people, etc. who had degrees in everything from comparative religion to animation to, yes, English. And I think the great thing about an English degree in particular is it actually gives you a bit of an edge in the business world, where good writing skills are frequently very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam
But yes, job possibilities can be somewhat limited for English majors.
That's true of engineering majors as well, sorry to say.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote