Music Banter - View Single Post - The Profession-al Argument
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #27 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I was on tenterhooks about posting this before because it might sound like I'm trying to brag (which I'm not) but it sounds like you have a VERY wrong idea of what and where technical majors are in demand. Across a company? Yeah, you'll have to relocate, but if you're just looking for a job you won't need to look very far.
I'm not talking about within a company, I'm talking about switching companies. My wife and father-in-law are both electrical engineers so maybe that's a totally different scenario than a mechanical engineer, I don't know. What I do know is that for them, and assorted other electrical engineers my wife is acquainted with, switching companies most likely will mean you have to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Here's a few of the engineering jobs I'm actually qualified for right now. If you notice the industries which they represent you'll see they range from communications, electronics, waste management, transportation, civil contractors, government work, etc etc etc. Not only that they're (mostly) within a few hundred miles' radius making it easy to relocate to find a job. (One is within walking distance of my apartment!) Most of these aren't small companies either, the ones which actively recruit through sites like this are generally the bigger firms.

Personally this summer I'll be working for an engineering firm that's five miles from my house. And within that area there's at least four or five more well-paying jobs within my field at my disposal. The only thing that sucks is the manufacturing industry's gone down the shitter in the past few years, making it difficult to find places looking for new hires.

I'd love to see what this would look like if I was a liberal arts major. A much shorter list, I expect.
I doubt it would be a shorter list at all, in fact I'd say it would probably be substantially longer. You've actually kind of proven my initial point here by providing list of "nearby" jobs that by-and-large would mean you would have to relocate. A person with a liberal arts degree, being much less of a niche employee, would most likely be able to find work without having to move at all.

I'm happy for you that you have what sounds like a great summer internship, but I'd definitely be very curious to hear how you feel about this topic after a decade or so actually working in the industry.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote