Music Banter - View Single Post - The Profession-al Argument
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not talking about within a company, I'm talking about switching companies. My wife and father-in-law are both electrical engineers so maybe that's a totally different scenario than a mechanical engineer, I don't know. What I do know is that for them, and assorted other electrical engineers my wife is acquainted with, switching companies most likely will mean you have to move.

I doubt it would be a shorter list at all, in fact I'd say it would probably be substantially longer. You've actually kind of proven my initial point here by providing list of "nearby" jobs that by-and-large would mean you would have to relocate. A person with a liberal arts degree, being much less of a niche employee, would most likely be able to find work without having to move at all.

I'm happy for you that you have what sounds like a great summer internship, but I'd definitely be very curious to hear how you feel about this topic after a decade or so actually working in the industry,
So let me get this straight: you're still under the impression that liberal arts majors have more opportunities available to them? Feel free to argue this however you like, can't say I'll ever see where you're coming from. At this point it doesn't really matter what I use to support my argument, it's obvious you have a certain p.o.v. entrenched in your personal convictions.

Although I'd like to ask, what makes you think a liberal arts major is any more qualified than anyone else as far as a non-technical profession goes? Remember, "writing skills" aren't major-specific, everybody's expected to have those.