Music Banter - View Single Post - The Profession-al Argument
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 02:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
So let me get this straight: you're still under the impression that liberal arts majors have more opportunities available to them? Feel free to argue this however you like, can't say I'll ever see where you're coming from. At this point it doesn't really matter what I use to support my argument, it's obvious you have a certain p.o.v. entrenched in your personal convictions.
Well, you've actually shifted the goal posts here a bit. We started off talking about English majors but then you switched to talking about liberal arts majors in general. Which would you like to talk about?

And before you jump any conclusions about what my personal convictions are, keep in mind that I too have very much of a niche degree and career path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
Although I'd like to ask, what makes you think a liberal arts major is any more qualified than anyone else as far as a non-technical profession goes? Remember, "writing skills" aren't major-specific, everybody's expected to have those.
Who exactly do you want to compare them to? People without a degree? People with a mechanical engineering degree?

Your comment about writing skills is actually pretty funny. Employers may expect people to have them but you'd be surprised by how few people actually do. And just like you no doubt have engineering skills far beyond the typical English major, the typical English major has writing skills far beyond yours.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote