Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] April Bi-Monthly Comp : Weird & Bizarre!
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

I guess I can go first! I had a hard time choosing tracks for this comp. I went through some different criterias for weirdness and I found out that a lot of my weird music is in norwegian and I thought I'd steer clear of those since part of what's weird about them is typically in the lyrics. Then I quickly noticed that by far, most of the weird stuff was weird because it was meant to be funny. I wanted to steer clear of that as well ..

The weird stuff in my library that I was left with then, well, a lot of it was not really that appealing. There were a lot of songs that, although weird, were not actually good or were even just unpleasant like minutes of tortured screams or music made to audibly illustrate how it is to have a bad trip on drugs. Removing those from the potential candidates left me with a much smaller list of songs that I like and that were still weird. I wanted songs that I think could appeal, despite their weirdness, so I settled on a song by The Residents (them not being in a weird comp would be a crime anyways) and Samla Mammas Manna.

The Residents - Constantinople
I actually love this song while my girlfriend absolutely hates it. It may not be the strangest Residents song, but I think sometimes, a very effective sort of weirdness comes from when something you think is familiar is changed in some way. I think most are familiar with the song Constantinople, but The Residents take on it is definetly a bit different from most other versions. Sorry for the low BR though! I have to get a better copy.

Samla Mammas Manna - Dundrets Fröjder
Samla Mammas Manna is definetly one of my favourite avant-garde groups out there and this is the first track from their well known 1972 album Måltid. For those who haven't heard about them, they're a swedish avant-prog band and a crucial one in the RIO (Rock In Opposition) movement. Their sound on this album (which I think makes them somewhat weird) is very playful, skilled, sometimes a bit surprising and with the occasional crazy, nonsensical vocals. Måltid is warmly recommended.

I've been busy the last few days, so I haven't heard all the contributions yet (so the tracklist is quite random), but I'm really looking forward to checking out the rest!