Music Banter - View Single Post - Volcanic eruptions in Europe
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default Volcanic eruptions in Europe

Heya!

I'm sure many have heard about the volcanic eruption on Iceland and if you haven't, well, I can try do a summary.

Recently, there was a volcanic eruption on Iceland in a mountain called Eyjafjallajoekull. It spewed volcanic ashes which are now falling down over much of Europe. Among other things, this hinders transportation and all flights in and out of Norway f.ex have been cancelled for a few days now, causing massive problems for people who need transportation.

The real iffy thing is that the eruption can trigger another eruption in a much larger volcano called Katla. Looking at history, this has happened at least the last 4 times Eyjafjallajoekull erupted in 920, 1612 and between 1821 and 1823 respectively.

It's disturbing to see how our modern society is not even able to deal with a relatively small eruption. What will happen if Katla erupts and remains highly active for months or even years? Will it dramatically cool the climate up here? Will it smell rotten eggs? Will we wear face masks when we move around outside?

Right now, I just hope it doesn't affect the summer too much. I need some heat! Anyone else affected / slightly worried about this?