Music Banter - View Single Post - It's been close to a year... Thoughts on Obama
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #50 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo View Post
Because that's what unemployment is?

By that logic, babies and children would be included in unemployment.
Sorry for not explaining better. I guess I'm not used to having to spell it out like that. Since I obviously do, look here. You wrote :

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamAlejo
Those numbers reflect people that are actively searching for jobs but cannot find them, not just a simple number of people unemployed divided by the population.
This is a statement where you say what sort of people make up the statistics. I reply to you with a question; how do you know that? You reply with "Because that's what unemployment is?". No, it's not.

Did you read Akira's post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Freeloading implies that they are getting some kind of benefits from the government i.e. in this country it could be unemployment benefits, incapacity benefits, income support, social fund etc. So all these people are recorded by the government and would be included into any unemployment figures where it applies.

People who are not claiming anything and are not looking for work wouldn't be included, but you couldn't call them freeloaders as they are not getting any money from the system.
Here's the kind of insight I was hinting at. There are people who are not actively searching for jobs and who are still unemployed. In this country, they are likely to recieve benefits from the government. This makes them "freeloaders" and because they are registered in a system, they should be part of the unemployment statistic. This means that unemployment stats here do give some insight into how many "freeloaders" you have in the country.