Music Banter - View Single Post - The Allman Brothers & Southern Blues-Rock
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yeah The Outlaws are pretty sweet too.
Amazing multi-guitar work and an excellent sound, Mutt Lange could really produce an album.

Quote:
I like Skynyrd alright, I just got a little tired of them, they haven't had the same lasting appeal with me as other classic rock radio standards like Zep, Rush and Queen. I don't really need to hear Free Bird again, though I can appreciate it as a great song.
My tiresome artist/bands are Dylan and The Who. It's a shame that The Band is only remember for backing Dylan when they back Jack Scott (from Canada) who was almost as popular as Elvis. The Band themselves I think can fall into the catagory of South Rock - more or less.

Quote:
Southern rock gets an unfair rap, because a lot of people hate Skynyrd, so a lot of people write off the southern rock genre based on that band alone, which is unfortunate.
The feeling I got from listening to radio, and docs, and guitar tab mags & music rags, they assign each band a catagory they are ahead of, and that influence the way I think about them sometimes too - I guess. Like Skynyrd is best Southernfried rock, The Eagles were the best of the Country Rock of the 70's. The Byrds the best of the Folk Rock of the 60's. etc. etc. I think The Byrds are underrated in the whole catagory of Folk/Counrty/Rock. Roger McGuinn and Clarence White are both amazing talents. Personally I put the Allman Bros. Band in the same jam band class as Traffic etc. (besides being linked by E.C.) they both delved into different geres Country, Jazz, Blues and Rock. So I don't think of ABB vs LS in them same sub-genre if that makes any sense.

There are different resons for hating a band, musical taste or just being over-player, over-tauted. Sometimes hard rock and jam bands are too taxing for some peoples listening abilities, and they just write them off; unless they have other reasons for hating Skynyrd I don't see why, I think Skynyrd deserves the credit, they creative, played well and are tight as a band. And had a great sound, they were recorded by Tom Dowd (engineer and producer) who has a litany of artist he worked with in the studio.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote