Music Banter - View Single Post - 5 Must-hear albums for a hip-hop newbie?
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #64 (permalink)
Zaraki Kenpachi
Groupie

In no particular order...

2Pac- All Eyez on Me Personally I love a rap album with a personal vendetta involved. Pac was on a mission to destroy the competition. I think he did just that with scathing but witty lyrics accompanied by some great production that goes beyond just Dre

Bone: Thugs n Harmony- E. 1999 Eternal An amazing album. The production is awesome with some savagely gritty beats. The BONE boys ride the harmonic waves of gangster violence with ease.; Art of War It was a really really really bad idea for the rappers Twista, Do or Die, and Crucial Conflict (all based in Chicago) to claim Bone stole their style. Their unwarranted claim outraged the rap group and led them to create a 2 disc album which emphasizes the importance of ending the lives of all haters and clones.

50 Cent: Get Rich or Die Tryin; The Massacre It seems that no one wants to admit that they love hardcore/gangster/hubris rap. I guess no one watched and liked Terminator, Rambo, or Die Hard. If you cant laugh outloud atleast 10 times in the first 5 songs then I and your sense of humor are at some serious odss.

Wu Tang Clan- Rza's Greatest Hits Umm every major Wu Tang song or almost. Brooklyn Zoo sounds like a 4 minute freestlye. For those that believe ODB never wrote down lyrics this song is exhibit A.

Eminem- Marshall Mathers LPWhile the Slim Shady LP was great it is nowhere near as gritty as this album. Eminem lashes out at critics, family and even fans. This album will solidify anyone as a lifelong fan.

DMX- It's Dark and Hell is Hot; Flesh of My Flesh Blood of My Blood; And Then There Was X If a 50 Cent album is like a Terminator movie then a DMX album is like the Kill Bill. Really textured portrayal of violence and other highly exagerrated tales of hyper aggressive crime. If you want to peak into the mind of a predicate felon listen to these albums. "Got a good heart but this heart can get ugly."

Jadakiss- Kiss Tha Game Goodbye Show Discipline is the only song you need to hear after that its a wrap.

Nas- I Am Yeah Yeah Illmatic was all that blah blah blah. This album has better production and features Scarface, R Kelly, Aaliyah, and Diddy. Can listen to this album all the way through. Love it and I'm not really a Nas fan.

T.I.- Urban Legend; KingTI possibly possesses the most hubris out of all the rappers I know. Word play and flow are second to none. A.S.A.P. is anthem fit for a king

Young Jeezy- Lets Get It: Thug Motivation 101- While not a lyrical wizard Jeezy is a rapper like Scottie Pippen was a basketball player...plays his role to get the job done. This album features amazingly stellar production from a producer named Shawty Redd, his beats crush all beats made by anyone else on this album...and thats saying a lot.