Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #171 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
I have a question for Europe and the United Kingdom.

If I visit in the middle of winter, will I die? I'm from Australia and I hadn't ever seen snow until I went to NZ as an adult. I like the cold but I've never experienced any temperatures below 0. But I'm planning on traveling there in my summer holidays (my summer = your winter).

Edit: Zero degrees celsius
Well.. just to kinda put it into perspective for you.. I grew up in Louisiana (hot as balls), moved to Florida for 4 years (hotter than balls), then joined the Army and deployed to Kuwait right away for my first deployment... stayed there for an entire year... (balls melt in this 150 F. environment) and then spent the following year in Germany (cold as snowman balls) then deployed to Iraq (More melted balls) for a year, then back to Germany for a few years (ice cube balls. Yes... square ones) and all the while going back home to hot as balls Louisiana for leave, not to mention going to various other countries for missions and what not.

Suffice it to say, I've been jerked around between extreme hots and colds and everywhere in between for the last 6 years of my life. The most that will happen is you'll be uncomfortable, assuming you're not like some of those idiots who die when the summer is unseasonably hot because they never realized water is important for your ability to... be alive..

Acclimation is pretty much only relevant to comfort if you follow simple preventative measures to ensure you don't die in the cold. Aka... Don't go out in a two piece bathing suit to go and make snow angels or whatever it is you'll be doing in the snow.
Wear enough clothes for the situation. If you're shivering, your body is trying to raise its core temperature. Put more clothes on. I know hypothermia may be the "in" thing for kids today, death too, but it's easily avoidable if you don't mind being the dorky kid.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote