Music Banter - View Single Post - The Recreational Drug Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #2523 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
That's interesting .. I guess things may be quite different where we come from. I admit I'm rather naive regarding recreational use of heroin which again is why I asked.

For me, trying heroin for the first time would be self-destructive because I wouldn't know what the positives are (well, I haven't yet experienced them). I think I would have a better idea of what all the negative correlations are with heroin. Trying it for the first time would seem like a gamble .. risk some negatives, lower my standards for what I will do to my body, possibly mixing with the wrong kind of people, change my perception of illegal and harmful drugs and worst of all start on a growing addiction for some potential reward I don't even know. This probably sounds a bit exaggerated, but if I was in the situation where I had the option to try it, those would be things that would worry me - silly or not.

You're right that I think doing "binge drinking" or other kinds of alcohol abuse (whatever that is) when you know it can lead to alcoholism and negative effects on health is self-destructive. For this reason, I'm trying my best not to do it anymore.

Like so many others, I've had a self-destructive period in my life from which I carry a few scars. I also used have a friend who did heroin, but he did end up a junkie and terminally ODed not too long ao. It's all made me a little weary, I didn't worry much before my destructive period, but then it bit me in the ass and now that I'm getting close to my 30s, I find I care even more about my general well being.

I turn 30 in January, and although it's not really a big deal in any way that actually matters (besides being a year closer to the statistically assumed end of my life), I'm finding myself changing the most in this year than I ever have in 5 because of the seemingly epic transformation that comes along with going from your 20's to your 30's, even if it's only separated by a single year.
This is obviously largely a societal gap but it is nonetheless affecting and I notice myself almost forcing change to meet these expectations.
Health is a major factor in this so I can relate to what you're saying.
And while I don't expect to continue recreational drug use throughout my life... and honestly weed is the only thing I do anymore and even that's rare, I do find myself relying on that societal gap to serve as a pivot.
I don't know if that's the right thing to do for me as an individual, or as a part of society. Either way, I have to live in society so as long as I'm able to function in it then I have no qualms with doing what I do as long as it doesn't jeopardize anything.

I guess the real thing is health and well being, but even those are based on hazy facts currently. In one hand, you can play it safe... but in the other, will you regret not letting go and enjoying the only life you have?
It's a struggle, to say the least.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote