Music Banter - View Single Post - Elliott Smith
Thread: Elliott Smith
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #548 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrine View Post
I'm a huge Elliott Smith fan. I recently finished reading Elliott Smith & The Big Nothing and that made me want to post in the thread

It's funny because I've been listening to his music for years now and my favorite albums are S/T, New Moon and Roman Candle and I have always found these much better than his later albums (figure 8 and faboth). I always kind of disliked FABOTH so when i wanted to listen to one of those songs i would listen to a live version. But reading the book made me want to listen to each album as i read about that part of his life, so i was forced to listen to FABOTH and I'm finally able to appreciate that album.
I think Kings Crossing is my favorite from the album though it's almost impossible to choose. the "because we love you" breaks my heart every time i hear it..

I don't really have anything constructive to say other than i love his music and i feel like i can understand him a little better after reading the book
If you read the book, then you would know that that album was completely unfinished at the time of his death. Other people filled in the blank spots, and his family has said if Elliott had heard the final product, he would not have approved. I agree with that. It had its moments, but I fear it is just a pale shadow of what that album could be, had he realized his full vision.

As far as his other late albums (XO and Figure 8), I love them. I know certain people fell in love with his music because of its passion and simplicity, but I love being able to hear what he wanted his music to be with the full power of a professional studio. It came out brilliantly, if you ask me.