Music Banter - View Single Post - Unschooling
Thread: Unschooling
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

This is the first time I've actually heard of this, perhaps because it's probably not a growing trend in Canada. I'm not opposed to the idea - I know there are a lot of liberal parents out there who would "unschool" their kids if they felt it was the right thing to do - but I don't support it. My issues with unschooling are these:
  • How are the kids going to learn to think critically?
  • Will these kids be able to get jobs that insure financial security?
  • Do they know how to build proper relationships with people? One thing that you learn in a real school is how to make friends and keep them!
  • Will they be smart enough to learn (for themselves, of course!) that they will need to follow orders once they get a job?
  • Building on the previous point, if they get a job do they know that they can't just fuck around like they did at home?
  • If the child actually wants to go to university, are they going to be prepared for the school environment? I know that it's a little more liberal, but it's absolutely critical that you have the study skills needed to actually learn something so that it's NOT a waste of money.
  • What about knowing proper grammar and sentence structure? Personally, it absolutely IRKS me when people don't use proper grammar. It makes you look dumb and uneducated no matter how educated you actually are.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Also, there was a clip in the video that showed another family with younger kids. The parents stated that they are so relaxed with their kids that proper hygiene isn't even required in that house! That's absolutely disgusting - it's bad for the child's health and also makes it look like they are neglecting their kids. They are, in a way, I guess. But that's just gross! Don't want to brush your teeth? No worries, do it whenever you want, if you want to do it at all. Don't want to take a shower/bath? Wash your hands after you use the toilet? Same thing. Gross. I don't care if parents want to practise unschooling, I just hope that they teach their kids proper hygiene habits!
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote