Music Banter - View Single Post - Unschooling
Thread: Unschooling
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I can understand instituting something like electives for all school grades, but the idea that children should decide the totality of their curriculum is both absurd and naive.

As Mr. Dave has said, the traditional courses that are standard educational musts should be maintained.
I believe any overhaul procedures involving those traditional courses should be focused on teaching and learning styles as dictated by individual student propensity. For instance, if student A is good at math but student B is having a hard time, there should be school-funded tutoring services for student B. It should be the priority and responsibility of the school system to get all of their students to a specified level of achievement, even if this means "leveled" classes for the same course.

If children are allowed "electives" as part of their curriculum, these electives should lead to, generally, the same educational paths you would see in colleges. I mean, although you could provide an elective to a 1st grader that dealt with Sponge Bob Square Pants in a Bill Nye the Science Guy way, there should be a general narrowing and growing sophistication within each elective that ascends with grade. By grade 12, these electives should have enough definitive branches in educational studies to have allowed a student to know exactly what higher education he/she wishes to pursue.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote