Music Banter - View Single Post - It's been close to a year... Thoughts on Obama
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #96 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Considerating the issue of overpopulation and using up our resources, I think there's more to colonizing other planets than it just being "cool".

Space colonization, the possibility of terraforming planets, it's DEFINITELY something worth thinking about regarding the future and prsoperity of the human race. Maybe not a hundred years down the line, but I think we need to look beyond that as well.

We can ensure that things will be better for us a few 50 years down the line, but we should also think about what will happen to us several centuries or even millennia from now, that's by no means a trivial thing, even if it's not terribly urgent. It's something worth thinking about and investing research in.
It's just...too much. During the space/weapons race America could justify spending egregious amounts on extraterrestrial exploration, today the gung-ho attitude is largely deplored among scientific minds. There are too few practical reasons to invest such an enormous wealth of resources to those kinds of projects. We aren't seeking to be "the first" anymore, kinda takes away a lot of the interest away. Which is sad, because I love that stuff.