Music Banter - View Single Post - It's been close to a year... Thoughts on Obama
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 PM   #97 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Considerating the issue of overpopulation and using up our resources, I think there's more to colonizing other planets than it just being "cool".

Space colonization, the possibility of terraforming planets, it's DEFINITELY something worth thinking about regarding the future and prsoperity of the human race. Maybe not a hundred years down the line, but I think we need to look beyond that as well.

We can ensure that things will be better for us a few 50 years down the line, but we should also think about what will happen to us several centuries or even millennia from now, that's by no means a trivial thing, even if it's not terribly urgent. It's something worth thinking about and investing research in.
I'm not disagreeing with you here. But I do see the practicality of robotic space exploration vs. manned space exploration. It's cheaper, safer...and it could be a stepping stone to future manned space missions, depending on what we discover until then.

It just doesn't seem that important or vital to send humans into space at this point in time. Seems like human's have done all they can do in space for now. And there will come a point in time when it will be imperative to send them back into space. Now just isn't that time.

I will say that as a Texan and Houstonian, I was a little dissappointed that Obama pledged to up jobs at Kennedy Space Center and seemingly left out Johnson Space Center. What gives?