Music Banter - View Single Post - [RELEASE] April Bi-Monthly Comp : Weird & Bizarre!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Nine Black Poppies
Music Addict

Blurb time.

The Nectarine No. 9 - It's Raining for Some Cloudy Reasons
Back when I lived in Berkeley and had a bit of money in my pocket, I used to peruse the used CD section in Amoeba and pick up things based on nothing more than cover art or song titles. I got the album this was on mostly because of the title of this song. Didn't think much of the record at the time, but the awkward squonk of it has grown on me a lot in the subsequent years. This seems to exist in the space between the twee-ish pop of the band's Glaswegian contemporaries and a more Zappa/Beefheart kind of racket, which is a pretty neat little niche to carve out, really.

Jandek - Down in a Mirror
Jandek's music is pretty much unlike anything else I can think of. It's avant garde, but rather than playing with loud, completely raw noise, the way a lot of experimental bands do, he instead tends to be quieter, sparer and contemplative. This is a ghostly, longing song featuring (like much of his music) a distinct non-melody and an acoustic guitar going out of its way to avoid playing traditional chords. Yet there is method to the madness, which becomes more apparent with more listens--something within the drifting sounds that stirs you because it hits you in a new way.