Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #1288 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Bulldog was kind enough to send me the album to the sound track Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man which is something every LC fan needs to have in their library. Unfortunately for me I was never a big Leonard Cohen fan so the songs were a little lost on me, but they were still enjoyable to a degree. All of the artists did a great job at paying their tribute to Leonard Cohen and do so in a dignifying way where the song actually feels like their own rather than a crappy cover you'd expect to hear on a street corner from a scraggly busker. I was actually quite surprised to see The Handsome Family (one of my Gothic Country bands) on the album, doing a very good cover of "Famous Blue Raincoat" which I actually enjoy more than LC's version. However the best song on the album is Nick Cave's rendition of "I'm Your Man" which has a very nice drunken swagger to it and again, had me enjoying it more than the original. Overall the album was enjoyable enough to a degree for me, but I think the impact of it as a whole was lost on me because of my indifference to Leonard Cohen as a musician. I know that is kind of a heresay because of the impact he has had on music in general, but some of the older artists just don't do it for me. If you're a fan then you definitely need to pick it up, but otherwise I wouldn't be surprised if the album didn't do much for you.

I thank you for the album Bulldog, I think I'll steal a few select tracks and I hope you enjoyed the album I sent you.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote