Music Banter - View Single Post - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacklover View Post
I'm surprised to hear that not many people like them, I've always thought they were one of the most influential prog rock bands.

Anyway, I love them. I can't stop listening to Brain Salad Surgery. Karn Evil 9 is definitely their best composition IMO, and I totally agree with you, amazing piano skills on Emerson's part in 2nd Impression. Just hauntingly inspiring, a bit like Toccata in some way. Benny the Bouncer has cool bluesy piano riffs too
ELP were comprised of well respected musicians because of the bands they used to be in, their early albums had a good deal of acclaim at the time but their "everything including the kitchen sink" stage shows led to them falling out of favor within the prog community and ELP often get most of the blame for prog getting too big for it's britches.

When punk came about because lower class musicians with no classical training felt like they were being marginalised by prog rock's ideals, they found ELP to be the easiest target for ridicule.

Since then, ELP more than any other prog band has been the primary target for critics who froth at the mouth whenever the genre is mentioned. Putting the band's oversized egos aside though (lol at the concept of lambasting bands for having ego problems), they should be judged for their actual musical output.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote