Music Banter - View Single Post - What got you into avant-garde and experimental music?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #40 (permalink)
dankrsta

Sonic Youth opened for me the whole world of this experimental and avantgarde side of music. The first album I've listened to was "Evol". I had never heard anything like that before and it remained my favourite SY album. But when I got to "Confusion Is Sex" is when I started searching for that kind of weird, twisted and above all creative music. Eventually I discovered Swans "Holy Money" and "Filth". Whoa, nothing had prepared me for that. I was hooked. I found out about Einsturzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle and then about kraut-rock.

On the other side, I was listening to My Bloody Valentine and Spacemen 3 and that kind of prepared me for post-rock. It was in the late 90's and there were a few radio shows that aired what was a fairly new 'genre' for me, called post-rock. It was at the same time I was discovering kraut-rock, so naturally I was in the phase of some minimal, repetitive and hypnotic music.

Last edited by dankrsta; 04-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.
dankrsta is offline   Reply With Quote