Music Banter - View Single Post - A rant about guitar
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

I actually find the fact that the b string is a half step down adds to some of the interesting chord patterns I can make with the instrument. I've never received lessons and I have absolutely zero music theory knowledge, I really just play for fun. And as someone who has spent nearly all my time purely on chords and chord progressions, I really value how interesting you can make some of the chords sound just by changing one finger placing.

I see what you mean, for sure...and the piano really does seem far more intuitive. I just feel like the guitar is a bit more versatile. Alternate tunings are pretty weird when you first start them out, but I find playing in one can make it seem like a completely new instrument. Not to mention all the different sounds and effects (if it is electric) you can get out of it.

I definitely go through ups and downs. Sometimes when I play, I feel absolutely zero creativity coming out of it. Other times I feel like a guitar god. Anyways, this is getting long winded...that's my 2 cents.