Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #1692 (permalink)
Fruitonica
Pale and Wan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
your image is broken but according to the file name it looks like Deus Ex. did you just get the original or both? contrary to popular opinion i actually really liked the sequel (The Invisible War) more than the original in fact.

i got SO angry during that first one, at one point (apparently at the start of the final area) i ended up starting the map and standing next to something that goes boom, which ends up happening while someone's message is being displayed on screen (as in - within seconds of loading the map). so while i was reading a mini-briefing of my final mission i got blown up. considering the game saves before loading a new map i figured it would just start the area over again.

it didn't.

i'm still pissed about it.

Everyone complains about the same things with Invisible War, but it really suffered from oversimplification. The scrapping of the RPG stat growth, the universal ammo and simplified inventory were all big losses as far as I'm concerned. But by far the biggest problem was how small the maps became, they felt so cramped compared to the original, and this leads to the different paths somehow feeling more artificial.

On the other hand, it kept the nice balance between exploration/dialogue/shooting, the good writing, atmosphere and convoluted conspiracy plot. And the shooting mechanics were probably slightly better. So a fun game, but not a patch on the original.

I don't remember the first one being particularly buggy. The only bug I ever found on multiple playthroughs was that Stanton Dowd wouldn't talk to me one time, and a reload fixed that. Invisible War was much more buggy for me, but I guess half the reason is that I was playing it on a computer that could barely handle the minimum requirements. I should try it again now, I might feel differently.
Fruitonica is offline   Reply With Quote