Music Banter - View Single Post - Authenticity
Thread: Authenticity
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 02:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

i think a lot of this depends on how the question is interpreted by the individual and whether or not they see authenticity and integrity as one in the same or as separate elements. also, how an individual defines an artist.

for me an artist reflects the effect the realities of our world have on the human condition. as such, everyone on the list qualifies as being an artist. i gave the girls the better score because most don't actually write their own stuff. they actually provide a broader more generalized reflection via their total package, the image, the videos, the paparazzi and gossip, and of course the 'music', all lead to a reflection of the direction society seems to be moving towards in worshiping celebrity as divinity. what Britney Spears is, is far more authentic art than who she is.

the guys on the other hand tend to reflect themselves and their own experiences more through their art. it's definitely not a bad thing, but by having a greater element of control on their creative process they tend to establish themselves within their output to specialize their reflection on the human condition. it's what gives it integrity, and makes it far more pleasing to my ears.

but when it comes to overall authenticity it's the more general reflections that provide a greater view of the condition, and having to call miley cyrus an authentic artist reminds me of why i chose to disconnect myself from mainstream society as much as possible a few years ago.

and instrumental music is where it's at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote