Music Banter - View Single Post - Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ronnie Jane Devo
moon shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
How about with a bill that doesn't condone racial profiling?
No argument there I guess.

Quote:
How about we work more with the Mexican Government about better protection on their side of the border?
What on earth is the Mexican government going to do about it? They can't even keep their drug cartels under control right now.

Quote:
How about we make the process for people to reside in the US legally easier?
My opinions on this are a little complicated, so I'll save it for after we deal with the other points.

Quote:
Or we could focus our attention on helping Mexico improve as a nation, so people wouldn't be compelled to leave. It may take longer, but if we invested half the money we spend fighting a phony war-on-drugs into it then I don't see it being too far-fetched.
That's a nice counterfactual can of worms. Putting aside the fact that the US can barely even take care of itself politically and financially right now, I don't see how it's our responsibility to tell another country how to run its government and society.

Quote:
And when did I say I hated Arizona law? That doesn't even make sense.
You didn't say that, I didn't say you did, and obviously that doesn't make sense.

Quote:
How'd you like to be a Mexican American in Arizona? They can arrest and charge you if you don't carry your immigration papers at all times. If we turn our police force into immigration officers, we loose the respect of the communities they try to protect. The communities become afraid of the police force and would refuse involvement in cases crucial to keeping the peace.
I don't support racial profiling, but I certainly don't have a problem with 'turning our police force into immigration officers'. If someone is afraid to speak to a police officer because they're doing something illegal, then maybe they shouldn't be doing something illegal in the first place... a novel idea, I know.