Music Banter - View Single Post - Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Ronnie Jane Devo
moon shoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
You mean like racial profiling? I'm not saying you support it. I'm just saying that's what this new law can allow in essence.
Seems to me the bigger issue is how much of a chance people get to present their papers before action is taken. If they're given a reasonable amount of time, i.e. a week, to get their documents in order, they don't have much of an excuse for flaking out if they do.

Also, the government could do more to hold employers accountable for who they hire.

Quote:
A) they may have experienced racial profiling at the hands of the police
Yes, I know. Racial profiling bad. I get it already.

Quote:
B) they may know somebody who was deported by the police, a friend, a family member, etc
So?

Quote:
C) they are afraid to work with police based on their status as a citizen (this includes anything from being illegal to simply not carrying your citizenship papers).
I addressed the issue of time frame above. As long as someone is able to produce papers within a reasonable amount of time, they shouldn't have reason to be afraid of the cops.

Quote:
2. If there is animosity between the police and the community, there will be no cooperation with them. This will hinder investigations and other police activities essential to keeping the peace.
How does this hinder 'essential police activities'? Are you saying cops will get shot more often? That neighbors won't be testifying against each other as much? Please be more specific instead of repeating yourself and giving me this 'how do you not understand this' crap.

Quote:
What?
You make it sound like being on 'good terms' with a community is a requirement for the police to be able to enforce the law in that community. That sounds like a gross exaggeration to me, but I don't see the point of going back and forth over how important you or I think it is to be a 'nice cop', so we probably shouldn't bother with this item of the debate.