Music Banter - View Single Post - The 'Big Government' thread: US vs EU, and whether either (or both) are doomed
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ronnie Jane Devo
moon shoes

On a related note, is there anyone who thinks it would be a good idea to abolish Medicare, Medicaid and all federal-level health programs in the US and let the States handle them individually? Our country seems unique among Western ones in having especially strong libertarian sentiments, and to try to brush over that sentiment by applying a blanket health care program across the whole country just seems really out of line with the purpose of our governmental structure and its ability to accommodate different facets of public opinion. Hawaii and Massachusetts already have their own state-wide universal health care programs I believe, and it seems logical enough to let the other liberal-leaning states follow suit.

In general, I'd really like to see more diversification in the role of government between the 'red' states and 'blue' states. I think it would also go a long way in making the federal government functional again to not have all this partisan drama crippling the political process.