Music Banter - View Single Post - Ariz. governor signs immigration enforcement bill
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ronnie Jane Devo
moon shoes

I probably don't support the Arizona law as is, since I would prefer that it prohibit racial profiling and give suspects sufficient time to produce papers.

Let's assume for a minute that the law actually included those provisions. Would you still oppose it on the grounds that it would undermine trust between police and hispanic communities? Honestly I could not care less how much of said trust there is, because a police officer pretty clearly does not need anyone's trust to walk up to someone's house and demand identifying papers from them, or to later return with an arrest warrant if they have not complied with the demand. If illegal immigrants decide to respond violently, well hey, they're committing an even more serious crime.

Again, you seem to be suggesting that if it's sufficiently 'difficult' to enforce a law, the police simply shouldn't bother trying, and instead hope that the community will voluntary assist the police in enforcing the law -- which is absurd. People in a community with illegal immigrants are not going to be helping to turn in their friends/family/neighbors to the police.