Music Banter - View Single Post - Emerson, Lake & Palmer
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
snacklover
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
ELP were comprised of well respected musicians because of the bands they used to be in, their early albums had a good deal of acclaim at the time but their "everything including the kitchen sink" stage shows led to them falling out of favor within the prog community and ELP often get most of the blame for prog getting too big for it's britches.

When punk came about because lower class musicians with no classical training felt like they were being marginalised by prog rock's ideals, they found ELP to be the easiest target for ridicule.

Since then, ELP more than any other prog band has been the primary target for critics who froth at the mouth whenever the genre is mentioned. Putting the band's oversized egos aside though (lol at the concept of lambasting bands for having ego problems), they should be judged for their actual musical output.
Woah I never knew they were some sort of supergroup, but I guess this isn’t surprising considering their professional talents. I’m not sure which kind of shows you were referring to, but I saw their California Jam performance and thought it was great. Watching Palmer and his possessed self nailing a 10-minute solo is really something.

And to hell with this ad hominem business! Arrogance never killed anyone before, and besides I don’t see how ELP is any more pretentious than Yes or King Crimson, although they sometimes have exaggerated the elements of prog but that’s a minor detail, and personally I find it adds to their “zesty” style. I find their music much easier to listen to than stuff like Moonchild (don’t get me wrong, I like KC, but that particular track was way too much for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
It's amazing how much good stuff Love Beach undid. When I talk to people about ELP nobody mentions Brain Salad Surgery... just that stupid album.
I've actually never listened to Love Beach. Should I give it a listen, or is it really that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Yeah, which is also the case for Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

I refuse to believe ELP put any real effort into that record. I still can't get my head around the fact that the lyrics were done by Peter Sinfield.

"Ohhh, you look so hungry woman
how come you strayed in here with your eyes so bright
on this long hot night.
Could it be for a taste of my love
Down on your knees with your face to the wall
Saying please please please."

That's quite a drop down from In The Court of the Crimson King I would say.
LOL
snacklover is offline   Reply With Quote