Music Banter - View Single Post - Nirvana ruined rock music. Who agrees?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #25 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
Nirvana and all the other grunge bands were nothing but a bunch of kids who barely knew how to play their instruments. They sounded like very amateurish garage bands.

On the other hand, bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, and Def Leppard were absolute experts at their instruments. Plus they were older and had much more musical experience. They were true serious musicians, not just a bunch of garage band kids like the grunge bands.

There is just no comparison. I think the only reason Nirvana and other grunge bands became popular is because teenage kids liked the depressing whiny no-talent music. It was just a stupid fad that kids liked back then, but unfortunately that stupid fad ended up ruining rock music.
Is this a joke?

I love AC/DC, but calling them absolute experts at their instruments? Are you kidding me?

None of those bands are virtuosos, except for Eddie Van Halen.

For one, Dave Grohl is a a damn good drummer, way better than Phil Rudd and Rick Allen, I'll give you Alex Van Halen. But do you know who Grohl is playing with right now? John Paul Jones. That's not a position just any random talentless hack would find himself in 20 years from now.

Novoselic is a bassist of average abillity, but so is Cliff Williams, Michael Anthony and whoever the hell Def Leppard's bassist is. I personally prefer Novoselic just because he had some pretty great basslines.

Cobain did what he did, he didn't do fancy guitar solos but neither did Malcolm Young, he made some killer riffs and if you're such an AC/DC fan you'd know that's all that you really need. As far as his singing abillity is concerned, once again, David Lee Roth and Brian Johnson aren't exactly American Idol material.

If you were comparing Nirvana to Rush I'd understand but in regards to the bands you're comparing them to, there's really not that much of a skill gap.

And writing off all grunge bands as talentless is ridiculous. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The Melvins and Alice in Chains are all very talented bands and as musical ensembles I'd rate them higher than the bands you mentioned, in terms of technical abillity.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.

Last edited by boo boo; 04-25-2010 at 04:33 AM.