Music Banter - View Single Post - Nirvana ruined rock music. Who agrees?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 AM   #33 (permalink)
alyu100
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
Nirvana and all the other grunge bands were nothing but a bunch of kids who barely knew how to play their instruments. They sounded like very amateurish garage bands.

On the other hand, bands like AC/DC, Van Halen, and Def Leppard were absolute experts at their instruments. Plus they were older and had much more musical experience. They were true serious musicians, not just a bunch of garage band kids like the grunge bands.

There is just no comparison. I think the only reason Nirvana and other grunge bands became popular is because teenage kids liked the depressing whiny no-talent music. It was just a stupid fad that kids liked back then, but unfortunately that stupid fad ended up ruining rock music.
As far as I know Rock music was never about being experts at your instruments. Sure it helps, but what really defines Rock music is its rebellion from social norms and expression of self, however visceral you might go about doing so. That is what the punk scene, the alternative rock scene and ultimately Nirvana were at. The point was not technicalities or having whatever standard you personally would deem 'professional', but just rocking out and making sure you're catchy enough for kids to enjoy while establishing an emotional connection to. And I will not even go into how ridiculous the notion that one band can 'ruin' an entire genre of music is, as I think boo boo has addressed that point quite well already.