Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #384 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riloux Gartier View Post
Technically meat eating isn't natural. The only reason humans began to eat meat in the first place is out of desperation. We originated in areas that were optimal for growing vegetables.

But anyway, a lot of vegans aren't technically against the whole concept of meat eating, even though it does more bad than good. It's more about factory farming and the amount of environment pollution it's contributing to. Plus, the treatment of animals in these factories is one of the most sickening things you will ever witness.

As for me, becoming a vegan has been one of the best things I've ever done. I'm healthier than ever and I've learned a lot about sustainable living.
Riloux Gartier! Greetings from a fellow vegan! There aren't many of us on here (or anywhere in the world), so I am interested in learning more about your views and your journey to them.

I feel that eating animals is natural in the sense that we evolved the ability to digest them and many people *do* eat animals (so it definitely happens "in nature" and thus is "natural"). People even eat pennies...so even that could be argued to be "natural," of course. Whether eating animals is ethical behavior toward animals or good for you or the planet are the questions that interest me.

I think you and I, as vegans, are very aware that a well-planned vegan diet is just as good as an animal-base diet, and has definite health advantages over diets containing animal products, since vegan diets usually include more healthful plant compounds and less saturated fat (and of course no cholesterol). It is very difficult, for example, to die from heart disease when one is vegan.

I agree with you that becoming vegetarian and then vegan was for me one of the best choices I made in my life and one of the ones that I am happiest about. And I'm aware of all the sustainability benefits of vegan diets!

Now, this is interesting that you say "a lot of vegans aren't technically against the whole concept of meat eating, even though it does more bad than good." My general impression is that most vegans are against the concept of humans eating meat and any animal product (as well as using materials made from animals).

However, I mentioned earlier in a thread that a vegan I knew gave her dogs fresh steaks from cows people killed after raising the cows on pasture. So, she was trying to give her dogs the best care. I'm not sure how she rationalized over the intentional human slaughter of one sentient being to feed it to another sentient being...especially when dogs *are* omnivores and vegetarian dog food exists!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote