Music Banter - View Single Post - Newbie Here
Thread: Newbie Here
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #22 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacklover View Post
Nice! Haha you know I played the trombone in the high school band for three years? Music classes were the best, although most people didn't have enough sense of humour to appreciate our teacher's sarcasm, he was like the artsy version of House :P But good luck with that, I'm sure you'll make an awesome music teacher!

But why do you want to teach in high school, why not in University or in a proper music school? I'm just curious because it seems to me that teaching kids (ok i'm young but mature enough for my age to refer to them as kids :P) would be a big hassle. Some of them can be a real pain in the derriere.
I could also teach in a proper music school, but I would most likely have to work weird hours, since kids have to take lessons in the evenings and on the weekends. I also wouldn't get the summers off! School teachers in Ontario get paid summer vacations and an excellent pension when they retire. So good, in fact, that most of them retire in their 50's. But again, I'm not sure if I want to teach music in an Ontario high school.

I could become a professor, since I have to go to grad school anyways. But I'd also have to spend a few years working on a PhD before I can become a full time professor. Before getting a PhD, you're just an assistant professor working part time, usually teaching night classes. So I'd have to find a day job in my field anyways to beef up my resume
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote