Music Banter - View Single Post - The Shins
Thread: The Shins
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #169 (permalink)
TheCunningStunt
love will tear you apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
To me all 3 albums have their own distinct sound.

And I think I may be approaching this sentiment. I've been a fan since the first album, didn't pick up Chutes Too Narrow until maybe a year after it came out, but got Wincing the Night Away the day it came out. I liked it from the beginning but it had to grow on me a bit. I think over time, Oh, Inverted World has become somewhat dated (most lo-fi of the bunch) though still great, Chutes Too Narrow has revealed some parts that kind of make me cringe even though it's also great on the whole, and Wincing perhaps is a bit more polished without going overboard. It's almost the perfect culmination. As I said, I'm approaching the sentiment that Wincing may be my favorite, but I'm not quite there. Oh, Inverted World may still be my fav but they're all very close for me. Kind of like Pinback...4 albums and I can't pick a favorite, they are all equally good even though the sound has evolved.
All 3 offer something different but I'd say the most lo-fi out of the bunch does stand out a little more than the others. I'm really into Chutes Too Narrow and I'm getting to like Wincing The Night Away a little bit more. Still not quite there yet with Oh, Inverted World but I'll give it some time. I was surprised when I found out they were a grammy nominated/award winning (I forget) band, that has a nice ring to it.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote