Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #1300 (permalink)
CanwllCorfe
Quiet Man in the Corner

Anteater sent me:

Trist - Hin-Fort

When I first got the message, I immediately listened to the whole thing. For one, the album art drew me in and album art does that to me. The other reason is that it sounded like something I'd love.. and I do.

I've never seen a song that was an hour long and I thought that it might have been an album that someone forgot to split up into songs.. but no! An hour of dark atmosphere and you bet I listened to the whole thing, granted I kept checking how far I made it in (which seemed almost to be in even 10 minute increments). Like most atmospheric music, there isn't any "real" melodies. Things like that bother some people but as long as it creates an interesting atmosphere that I feel like I've never seen or felt in any other song/album, then I'm all for it. However there are some passages, like in Hin, that are blistering with speed and intensity which help break it up a bit. The whole album has a congruent feeling and attitude that makes me feel like the artist had a definite concept. When I listen to it I'm reminded about all these random cryptic images from when I was younger. I've always "felt" very specific responses from looking at and thinking about things in different ways; a weird orange light on the side of a building at night time, dead trees down the street next to an old bridge in the middle of a swamp, a house that in the 70s had slime coming out of the walls (and made the local news), illustrations from Scary Stories, that impending feeling you have when it's like someone is about to look through that window at you, the quiet when you wake up in the middle of the night, etc. I adore the music that makes me think of such a specific sort of imagery. This is one of those albums that completely alter your mindset and how you're feeling like a playground for the brain. 9/10

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote