Music Banter - View Single Post - If you choose not to read these reviews, you still have made a choice...Rush Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Thanks for the interest, guys! I have my work cut out for me, but I've found something to enjoy in almost every Rush album. So, without further ado, here is:

Rush (1974)

Rush's debut album can be considered somewhat of an anomaly in the Rush discography. This album has a very hard rock Led Zeppelin vibe to it, and while they manage to pull the sound off well it lacks the originality and progressive complexity their later work has. Despite that, there are still a lot of Rush-isms that hint to us what to expect in later albums. Alex Lifeson's guitar work always manages to blend interesting chords together with the almighty power chord. He always seems to know when to use one or the other, and that ability to recognize when to use simplicity rather than self indulge in guitar work he is obviously capable of is what helped set Rush apart from other progressive rock bands. Though this album is rife with your everyday classic rock riffs, there is something behind them that makes the songs interesting. Geddy Lee was obviously born knowing how to play bass, because even in this album he is able to take Lifeson's riffs and imbue them with life like no one else can. Without his incredibly creative basslines, these songs would be so dull and typical they probably would have never gotten a record deal. The creative chemistry between Geddy and Alex is unreal.

Not much can really be said about John Rutsey's drumming. He was a competent drummer, but knowing that Neil Peart is a scant album away leaves me wondering what this album could have been with him there. Not to mention that Peart took on most of the lyric writing duties once he joined. In fact, the lyrics are probably the most jarring aspect of this album. Geddy sings about topics that are things Rush just never really sings about. In later albums, they cover sci fi themes, fantasy, and social commentary. I mean, really now, who wants to hear someone like Geddy Lee, with his balls-in-a-vice falsetto, sing, “Hey baby, it's a quarter to eight, I feel I'm in the mood,” on “In the Mood”? What a creeper.

Overall, the album is enjoyable. Not surprisingly, it's the more progressive songs that I find are the standouts for me. “Here Again” has some great moments, and “Working Man” (the definite highlight of the album) is a Rush concert mainstay even to this day. There is some really great riffwork in there. I wouldn't recommend starting here for Rush newbies, but I wouldn't avoid this album, either. Come to this one after you've gotten to know some of their more recognized material. There really isn't a bad song on here, but Rush is capable of so much more.

That is why I give this album a 6.5/10. This is based solely in comparison to the amazing work they do just a couple albums later.