Music Banter - View Single Post - Bulldog's Armchair Guide To Elvis Costello
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #143 (permalink)
Bulldog
why bother?

While I'm in the process of thinking of another sweet bootleg for anyone interested to wrap their laughing gear around, I'm gonna add to the whole odds and sods bit of this thread which I haven't added to in quite a long time.

Before I get to that, let's just get a little bit of context going. Basically, in a fairly large discography with quite a few albums that get my stamp of biased recommendation, there are four albums I'll always have down as the wall-to-wall, 10/10 classics that I think more people really should know about. These are 1980's Get Happy, 1981's Trust, 1982's Imperial Bedroom and 1989's Spike. If, say, I fed my pet mogwais after midnight and could only save one of those from their path of post-metamorphosis, gremlin-oriented destruction, it'd be either of the latter two (back when I was thinking about top album lists, it was pretty hard to pick between them). I won't go into detail as I can't really be bothered to but, cutting a slightly longer story short, Spike is a hell of an album. Difficult, sure, and fairly hard to truly love, what with its being the kind of album it is. Just flick to the front of this thread if you like and you'll find the review hotlinked there.

What's important here, though, is that the below bunch of videos make for a very interesting watch if you've either already got the album, are a bit on the curious side about it or just want a distant kinda glimpse of how a professional solo songwriter writes songs. Below is a promotional set of interviews about Spike and some pretty cool, solo acoustic performances of about half of the album. Definitely worth a watch if you have even the slightest interest in the guy and have about 50 minutes to spare. If not (I won't sugarcoat it), you may as well go and watch some paint dry or something.

Either way, here it is - Everything About Spike. One or two more bootlegs are on the way as well before I leave this thread alone for a few more months...

YouTube - Elvis Costello - Everything About Spike Part 2 of 6
YouTube - Elvis Costello - Everything About Spike Part 3 of 6
YouTube - Elvis Costello - Everything About Spike Part 4 of 6
YouTube - Elvis Costello - Everything About Spike Part 5 of 6
YouTube - Elvis Costello - Everything About Spike Part 6 of 6
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote