Music Banter - View Single Post - Long Live Kitsch
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Modern Art is so pretentious it's almost a joke, now. Hell, it is a joke.

I only associate creatively with people who view art for what it really is - an expression of the inner self or view of the outside world through the eyes of another human being... not a contest to be a esoteric and pretentious as possible. I could care less if it's "cliche" or "kitsch" or "unenlightened" or "uneducated" of me to prefer Surrealism to a black dot leaning slightly to the left on a bare canvas. They call it "challenging", and I call bullshit.

Modern Art critics have pretty much been proven to be completely up there own asses and all about impressing other snobs. I've seen cases where the critics were shown "paintings" done by the researcher's children of the pre-school to kindergarten age, supposedly done by a world renound artist that all the European critics raved for. Not surprisingly, they took the bait and praised the art as genius.
It's kind of weird to me that you choose to pick surrealism as some kind of non-pretentious counterpoint to all the art in the world that you perceive as pretentious. It's not like the surrealists were any different from other movements in terms of pretentiousness. Not that it affects my enjoyment of the artwork personally. I like all kinds of different art including, potentially, "a black dot leaning slightly to the left on a bare canvas". Just sayin'.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote