Music Banter - View Single Post - P A N droppin' his links...
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
i don't know how much of your post i can tend to right now, (i say that while very much appreciating the time you've taken to form an opinion and post it), but i wanna say something about that video where i say i want to make money to start. it is my belief that i don't play pop music. it is also my belief that the state of popular music's criteria is a dim thing to witness. i don't make money playing music.
Yes, I agree your music isn't pop music and doesn't intend to be, zevokes. My main complaint with popular music is that it sometimes seems vapid and designed mainly to impress. I think the theatricality of popular musicians, who try to appear unique such that the masses admire them, is a strange phenomenon and a little sad, since it seems to separate people from music-making.

Quote:
i just know that i can serve as a medium through which music can pass. i could chalk this up to many years of practice and of playing the drums, or i can look at it as though the will of LIFE ITSELF is inside every note that comes out of my manipulations of space and time. i also believe that anyone is capable of this. but that dim-thing-to-look-at thing runs rampant in the peoples' psychological framework (due to something you could probably call "omni-exposure") effectively obliterating the will of the majority to recognize the "notion" that music is one of the only things that is real. as a result of it being so real, all living things can make music. music is alive in everything around us, and will still be here when we are not. this is very important, i think, that music is in everything, because to recognize this is to bend your perspective... it's not likely that you look at the world as a very complex and beautifully articulated formula or set of frequencies...
hmm...actually I *do* look at the world as a very complex set of frequencies of energy and states of matter!

I agree music is in everything and that there really isn't a divide between musicians and non-musicians. We all make sounds intentionally, which I would define as human-created music. Right now my keyboard is making a pleasant tick-tick-tick-thud sound. Music? I'd say, yes!

Quote:
and when you bend your perspective to account for your own involvement in this enormous and amazing thing, you begin to harmonize yourself with everything else in it... which is exactly what people need to do, because the world is falling apart, whether anyone is in denial or not, and it's simply because we've lost touch with our... with our... hmmm... inner-animals? inherent nature? we're bent and broken versions of a species that was once not ever lost, and our current advancements are brought to us in ways that help us ignore the most great aspects of being human and alive in the universe ... or multiverse ...
While I don't see people as being broken versions of our human ancestors, I do agree that human greed and love have led the planet in directions I wish it weren't going.

Also, with all the distractions (materialism, for example) I think it may be hard for people just to sit back and enjoy our awareness and our participation in existence. I don't know who said it, but I very much like some quote about how we humans are the universe that has become aware of itself. I like that quote because I feel it is true and it does encourage a feeling of unity with everything.

Quote:
when i say i want to make money "making music," i am thoughtfully submitting to the monetary system, knowing full well, that without a demo or a band, or a gameplan for that matter the chances are slim to none. i think money itself is at the very roots of the current state of the human and it's decrepit and lame posture. to be frank, we're f*cking slaves to a system run by men and their dumb and archaic but nonetheless POWERFUL wills. we live in an age of technology where the total amount of information on the planet will double in 10 months. after 1.5 cycles of that, every eight months. awhile after that and we're at a technological state where the amount of information the people on earth have access to doubles every six months. humans are amazing, and the people that make money running corporations (who are effectively the governors of the world) live in fear of the idea that the people as a whole might recognize this. it would not be good for business if the human race just all-of-sudden starting believing in itself. it's possible, if it actually happened that people connected themselves to everything around them rather than isolating themselves to the limited confines of individuality (i think individuality is a concept and is propagated by what is most commonly referred to as culture), that money probably would not be any use, as technology would be open-source and the already-exponential growth rate of that information would go EVEN FASTER... this is the key to abundance.
Getting rid of money would be very difficult because money equals power and without it people can't buy food, can't go places, and have essentially no choices in life. I do feel life would be better if governments offered security and support to citizens so that basic life fears (such as how you'll afford food and who will care for you in old age and how will you pay for it?) can be diminished.

Quote:
i also think that people going to their jobs from 9-5 (and yes, i know that people can overcome the odds, but there are still odds, and as long as we succumb to the grips of money and personal gain as a worldwide civilization, tim hortons, subway, the factories, and your local corner store will always need people to work for less than what provides them with any comfort at all, and the rich will hand down their little slice of the empire to their sons, daughters, and grandchildren) is no good. people like to work. people also become happy when they discover they are creative. but this whole mechanized approached to dealing with the concept of time is outdated, and really has no concern for the animal that is a human and its biological clock. it's not set up for evolution to happen. it's not even (believe it, or not) set up to foster the advancement of technologies at its most natural/optimum rate... it's way slower.
I agree very much that people are happy when they discover they are creative and, I would add, capable. I agree that capitalistic exploitation of workers, all for profits of shareholders, is ethically wrong, and I feel requires government regulations to prevent business greed from overcoming concern for fellow humans who, lacking money and power, can be easily exploited.

Quote:
so anyway, the videos you've seen and the music you've heard on my pages are just examples of my progress in my experimentation. not really "projects" per se. i put them on the net with it in mind firstly that people and friends might like or be interested in what i'm up to, but also with a sliver of hope that someone with some cash will see what i'm up to and help me out. i have very little resources, but am quite passionate about the ideas i want to spread, and have bad-ass rhythm. although i cannot devote 100% of my energy and time to this, i would like to, and that can only happen if i have a substantial amount of money to work with.
It is difficult to have the time to be creative when you have to spend a lot of time trying to earn a living. I applaud you for trying to find a balance between the need to make a living and the fundamental urge to express yourself, zevokes, under tough conditions. As someone who is also rather passionate about her causes (you'll see! ), I can relate to your drive.

An advantage of music in the Internet age is that you may not need *too* much money to reach an audience. A disadvantage is that the chance of having a large audience is pretty small since there are so many musicians out there...though this is actually a good thing, I feel, for people as a whole...that is, I'm glad so many people are enjoying being musically creative.

Quote:
and as for your ACTUAL question (oops, haha) i don't think people should have to pay to see music. i do understand though that stages and "performances" cost money and this is why they do. but no, i do not find that balance difficult, because as i say, i don't believe i make pop music, and if people decide to listen to me, it is because either they already get it, or they like those sounds coming from the speakers and the ideas that are there feel oddly relevant...

that's all for now.

thanks again, Erica.

and, is there any of your music online i can listen to?
I also like the idea of creating music that says what you want, without catering overly much to what others wish it would be...since then it wouldn't entirely be your music anyway!

I know musicians want to earn a living, so I understand why they charge money for their creations...just as artists charge money for their paintings.

Yep, I have some music online, with the link in my contact information of my profile...and I have one youtube song posted among my lyrics in my songwriting thread. Many of my songs are about people mistreating animals...plus I like to write some non-serious songs to amuse myself and hopefully others! I'm a "radical vegan."

Say, would you like to post some of your lyrics? Like I wrote earlier, I can't follow them completely when you sing them, so I'd like to read some if you wouldn't mind posting them!

~ Erica
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 04-26-2010 at 11:29 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote