Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite non-dance electronic tune of the moment?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #79 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Sounds like Dubstep might be your thing, then. Eskmo, the guy who collaborated with Amon Tobin to form Eskamon, is a dubstep producer. He may have brought the menace to the table, even though I find some of Amon Tobin's stuff menacing. Perhaps not in the same way though.

Check out this thread: http://www.musicbanter.com/electroni...3-dubstep.html
Thanks for the link to the Dubstep thread, sidewinder! It is nice to get a "diagnosis" for the type of music I might like.

I listened to more of Amon Tobin and then Eskmo, since you said Eskmo may have "brought the menace to the table"--I like that phrase! I think it is hit and miss with me with some of the dubstep songs, because some I like and others...not so much. However, I did find much of Eskmo's music appealing, and now that I've heard more of his work definitely hear his influence in "Fine Objects" by Eskamon.

As an example, right now I am listening to and enjoying Eskmo's "San Francisco," which I only wish didn't have the vocals in it ("The Rhythm...San Francisco"), which sound hokie to me and limit the scope of the song. Despite the vocals, I like the watery but harsh, slow rhythmic feeling of the song, which feels playful yet solid. I especially like the low growling thuds. I bet they have quite an impact on one's gut if one has good speakers. And I love the picture of the hammerhead sharks used for this homemade video. I like thinking of all these animals swimming around down under there, doing their own thing while we are...here.

Eskmo, "San Francisco":
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 04-27-2010 at 10:58 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote