Music Banter - View Single Post - Volcanic eruptions in Europe
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
The change would be noticed over time The particles spewed out by the volcano will reflect sunlight, so more of the sunlight coming in over europe would be reflected back out to space. I don't know too much about the specifics since it's not my field, but the frontpage on some of the newspapers said it could cause a drop in temperature over the summer.

I think that would suck because I like my summers hot!
My dad, who is a scientist at the University of Melbourne, told me that two of the factors that have affected the Earth's temperature - which by many is being coined 'global warming' - are the fact that there are less sun spots, and that there have been no major volcanic eruptions in recent times.

Apparently, when there are more sun spots on the sun, the Earth is cooler. And currently the sun has a record low of sun spots for a very long time. Also, there has not been a major volcanic eruption for a very long time which may also be contributing to the temperature. Which is interesting now that the debris in the air will prevent sunlight coming to Earth, thus cooling the temperature.

I know nothing about science and don't know if this is true or not but I found it interesting to think about.