Music Banter - View Single Post - Foobar2000 - Support and Discussions
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #90 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
anyway i'm curious to know what others have worked out
The album header shows Various artists, probably, then the tracks show up like this :

01. Track title - Artist

Specifically, this is what goes on :

This bit here is in the elplaylist scripting :
Code:
$if(%VACHECK%,,$if($stricmp(%album artist%,%artist%),$puts(VA,0),$puts(VA,1)))
It looks a bit tricky. Basically, it checks whether album artist is different from artist and if yes, there's also a check for the presence of a VACHECK variable. If it's not present, the album is treated as a mixed artists compilation album.

So, when the album is a confirmed various artists album, this happens after the track number and title :

Code:
$ifgreater($get(VA),0, - $replace($meta(artist,0),;, /),)
Might look a bit tricky, but it just fetches the first value in the artist field. If it's a WMA or some other format that doesn't support multiple values, it'll separate the artists with a / .. although of course such files shouldn't really have multiple values so that bit is not too important. Unless perhaps if I decide to change meta(artist,0) for %artist%, but I think the semi-colons become commas then.

edit :

Note that I don't have any columns (atm) by the way Mixed artist albums also have both artist and album artist on all tracks.

I should perhaps elaborate why I have the VACHECK variable there as well. Some of my albums are collaborations between different artists where they essentially act like a band. F.ex Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia's album "Friday Night in San Fransisco".

In my library tree, I would like this album to show up under all three artists :

Code:
\A\Al Di Meola\1981 - Friday Night in San Fransisco
\J\John McLaughlin\1981 - Friday Night in San Fransisco
\P\Paco De Lucia\1981 - Friday Night in San Fransisco
As well as :

Code:
Al di Meola, John McLaughlin & Paco de Lucia\1981 - Friday Night in San Fransisco

So the solution is to use multiple artists in the artist field, like so :

Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin; Al di Meola; John McLaughlin; Paco de Lucia

And then use only "Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin" as album artist which is what appears in the albums header. The check in my previous post would now treat this as a mixed artists album if I didn't tag it with VACHECK .. so that's why it's there.