Music Banter - View Single Post - P A N droppin' his links...
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevokes View Post
so i'm just going to type out the lyrics of "Left Open," the "acoustic" track on my myspace page. i really like this one, because i did it in like two hours. it just came out one day, and my computer and recording gear all happened to work. (mind you, the sound quality is poor, and i don't care)

it's a weird time, this time,
what with all the decisions to consider
the revisions to deliver
and about which way down
which little river
is this little boat gonna go....

it's a fine line
this time between
the heavenly and devilish,
brevities, longevities,
and about which way
will the levy break...
...and how the wave'll carry me down.

i got no paddle
and it doesn't really bother me
cuz all around a before me
is this big, beautiful sea,

shining and beaming
and gleaming and trying
to bring me

out into the open.
that's where i can,
where i stand, where i'm Man...
...and that's still something to live for.

sometimes you just gotta take little second to ask a question;
and, so i say:

did it ever occur
to anyone else
that maybe, just maybe
there's a little baby
in all of us
with a mother out there
who really really really really really really cares
to see us strive
and see us alive...
...and see that our time's not wasted?
z., I have a little more time now (I'm on a work break!) to tell you what I like about your lyrics. I decided to put my comments in a new post, rather than just edit the previous one, so that you'd realize my new comments are here.

The overall meaning, first of all, is one I like. I would summarize your song in this way: "Life is full of many small and big decisions we make, but much of what happens to us is out of our control. At some point we just have to give into the flow and realize how beautiful and big the whole experience is. Throughout it all, we hope to find some meaning and a feeling of security in our lives."

The comment I thought of, after reading your lyrics, was that I feel people have to learn to be their own "mothers" (making sure we enjoy and feel the significance of our own lives)...but it is wonderful when along the way you know or meet people who help you feel some security and also help you feel that your time is not wasted.

I especially liked the lines that I put in bold. There are a lot of them! The constrast between "brevity" and "longevity" is clever and concise. "About which way the levy breaks" symbolizes to me the aspects of life that are out of our control. Once the levy breaks, the water will carry us in that direction...and we don't have a paddle to change our course.

And I especially like the end line, because this is really a very core feeling I have: that I don't want to feel my (short) time alive is *wasted.* I don't just want to exist. I want to feel like I'm really living.

I listened to the song again to match the lyrics with them as you sing them. I thought once more about how your songs, like this one, often have a solid underlayer of repetition. I think you use just several chords in this song, repeating them again and again! This gives the chantlike feel. Yet you are very spontaneous with your placement of syllables. So there is an interesting contrast there.

Your music sounds a lot like songs I've listened to in the electronica thread where there is this sense of continual unyielding forward motion, which depending on the song and its handling can, to me, sometimes feel monotonous.

I also listened again to "Oh Yeah," your synth orchestral piece. Really, this would work very well as a traditional modern orchestral piece, I feel, with "real" instruments. I could imagine it being one movement in a modern symphony. Have you considered making a synth symphony with several movements to go along with "Oh Yeah?" You could have this be an opening sonata then have an adagio, a minuet, and an allegro movement! Just a thought I was thinking of as I listened to it again.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote