Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #402 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
If I turn it on normally, nothing happens. The power light is on, but the screen is black.

If I turn it on and hit F8, I get the Advanced Options menu allowing me to go to Safe Mode, etc.

If I go to Safe Mode, select the OS, I get a list of drivers and such and then it stops with the last one being System32\Drviers\VolSnap.sys and then nothing ever happens beyond that...it just sits on that screen.
Hmmm... well it's possible that Volsnap.sys is either a Malware file masquerading as the actual file, which would cause your problem... or your actual Volsnap.sys file is corrupted.

It's obviously an important file, so you may need Recovery Console to check it out. This would be located on your OS installation CD. If you don't have yours, find a friend who does. What Recovery Console will allow you to do is access the file system and delete/copy/etc. any files within the file system.

The best thing to do, albeit the most tedious, is get your OS installation CD and boot to it, selecting Recovery Console when the option becomes available.. then once Recovery Console is booted, (will look like a DOS shell) navigate to the CD drive and locate the Volsnap.sys file on the installation cd.. take note of the path and copy that down. Then go back to your root C: drive and navigate to your windows/system32 folder and delete any instances of that file that are there. Then copy the file from the CD to your system32 folder.

If you end up doing that and need help with the commands, let me know.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote