Music Banter - View Single Post - Current Bands we will be talking about in 25yrs
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #183 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
With the amount of music coming out today and the attention span of the consumer becoming less and less, I think it is going to be difficult for bands from our generation and especially the current generation to leave a big enough lasting impression on the world to be remembered 25 years down the road.

e.g. I really don't think a band like Nickleback is going to be remembered or held in the same regard as a band like Led Zeppelin was and still is today, even though both bands had the same sort of peak in popularity. I think a lot of that has to do with how music is being created today and how the music was back then; today it seems like a lot of the music coming out shares a lot of the same characteristics as it's competition - a lot of the stuff sounds the same - where as in the 60's, 70's and too an extent the 80's and 90's the music that was coming out was unique and organic, every band seemed to have an element that set themselves aside from the next guy which is what makes them memorable.
There were plenty of unoriginal bands coming out in all those eras. Do you realize how many Led Zeppelin rip offs were around in the 70's? Sadly, one of my favorite bands...Rush...started off as one.

The medium is different and we are experiencing a kind of weird musical purgitory where bands and consumers alike are trying to figure out the best way to do this whole music thing. Once things settle, I have no doubt there will be bands that come out of this being remembered.