Music Banter - View Single Post - Current Bands we will be talking about in 25yrs
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #184 (permalink)
Heavy Jack
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
There were plenty of unoriginal bands coming out in all those eras. Do you realize how many Led Zeppelin rip offs were around in the 70's? Sadly, one of my favorite bands...Rush...started off as one.

The medium is different and we are experiencing a kind of weird musical purgitory where bands and consumers alike are trying to figure out the best way to do this whole music thing. Once things settle, I have no doubt there will be bands that come out of this being remembered.
Don't get me wrong, lot's of eras of music have had many bad or unheard of bands, I am sure not a lot of people have heard of the Budgie's or the Montrose's of the 70's, heck even a band like J Geil's isn't known to the mainstream of music listeners. And band's of that ilk do still exist today but it's the big band's like the Led Zeppelin's that are still remembered today; and what I am saying is the big band's and artist's of this generation, the Nickleback's or the John Mayer's or the Lady Gaga's, just won't have the same longevity as the Zepp's or the Hendrix's or the Pink Floyd's because their music just isn't as unique or interesting as it's ancestors.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote