Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Most Important Albums To You
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #375 (permalink)
Aswad Vogelenzang
Groupie

I'm going to define 'Most Important', not as the 'coolest' albums or even 'favourite' albums but as the albums that had the greatest bearing on the long musical journey I've taken through my life.

Various - '50 Years of Disney Favorites 1923 - 1973'
This was the first album I ever owned and therefore my introduction to the whole wonderful concept. Also, it's better than about 90% of all NME lauded indie hopefuls.

Kate Bush - 'The Kick Inside'
Another first, this time the first contemporary pop album I can remember hearing. It had 'Wuthering Heights' on it which is always going to make an impression.

Madonna - 'True Blue'
I had plenty of singles but this was the first album I went out and bought of my own accord. It's very of its time and therefore even now has some nostalgic value.

Iron Maiden - 'Somewhere In Time
The cover caught my eye at the local library, I was roughly the age when gun toting zombie cyborgs seem incredibly cool. This age is 12 years old. I liked the guitar solos and the energy of it all. Chart music gets dumped for a few years of metal obsession. It was the eighties, it's where things were at back then.

Mudhoney - 'Big Muff, Super Fuzz'
Stolen from Tower Records while skipping school during those difficult teenage years. I thought it was a metal record because they were head banging on the front. It wasn't, it was much better than metal. Metal now gets ditched for punk, grunge and anything noisy by not silly like Helloween and Dio albums.

The Smiths - 'Hatful of Hollow'
Friend played it to me on a cassette tape. Blown away by the music and lyrics. Now music doesn't need to be loud for me to like it. Development of sensitivities seems to suggest some kind of maturing process previously thought impossible.

Various - The Incredibly Strange Music Compilation
Bought it in a second hand store because Jello Biafra wrote the liner notes. Another a couple more lessons learned - one, its cooler to be weird than cool, and two, there was plenty amazing, odd and crazy stuff made before you were born.

Orange Juice - Ostrich Churchyard
Again picked up by sheer serendipity in a second hand store. Now my favourite album by my favourite band.

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
I've only had this a couple of years. I include it because I always 'thought' I hated Bob Dylan but it turned out it was mainly because I'd 'imagined' what I thought Bob Dylan sounded like and hated my own idea. It's wise to always be open minded as regards music, even music you 'think' you don't like. The first four tracks on this album are without doubt the best four opening tracks of any album ever.

Alabama 3 - Soul Revolver
I've not even heard it yet, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. It could be good or it could be bad but I've included it because it's the Next Album I'll Own. Music is such a huge part of my life I can't imagine life without it. Life without new music, good or bad, would be intolerable.