Music Banter - View Single Post - NHL Thread
Thread: NHL Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #620 (permalink)
Laces Out Dan!
I love Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourmeanother View Post
This confusion spurned a chain of events where I began reminiscing about the 2003 draft. For the Sharks- ironically- their early picks epically blew, while they scored a huge steal late.

They took Milan Michalek at 6th overall in the first round- ahead of Phaneuf, Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, and Brent Seabrook. Michalek was rated as one of the most NHL ready at the top of the draft. I know Phaneuf is overrated, but imagine Carter's goalscoring, Brown's two way grit, or Seabrook on the blue line instead. Oy vey. That's not the worst, IMO...

Later in the round they took Steve Bernier 16th overall. In fact, they traded the 22nd, 66th, and 107th picks to move up to that 16 spot. Who did they pass on immediately after that? Parise, Getzlaf, Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry (scum). They could have thrown a dart at those names and the odds were in their favor to randomly wind up with a better player than Bernier.

John Hennessy over Patrice Bergeron.

Matt Carle over Shea Weber.

The saving fact.... Joe Pavelski, 7th round, 205th overall. From "Little Joe" to "Big Pavelski" in one offseason!
5 of the best young players in the league right now.