Music Banter - View Single Post - If you choose not to read these reviews, you still have made a choice...Rush Reviewed
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

A Farewell to Kings (1977)

For those following, prepare yourselves. Within one album it seems Rush has figured out exactly how to make amazing progressive rock, create a style all their own, and still rock your face off. Yes, that's right. Rush has officially entered their classic era with “A Farewell to Kings”, my personal favorite "epic era" Rush album. The next few albums are generally considered the best of their career, and I'd have to say I completely agree. Whenever I'm in a mood for Rush, I generally reach for one of their albums from 77-82. I can't recommend “A Farewell to Kings” enough, and encourage everyone to give it a listen.

It is obvious straight from opening title track that Rush have finally found their place in the music, and they burst out with a new found confidence. The album starts with some classical guitar, something Lifeson utilizes a bit more often in the next couple of albums. Then they smack you straight in the face with a riff that is both highly creative in chord progression and full of energy. I think it is Lifeson himself who grew the most between albums, as he now knows exactly when to employ smooth, sweeping chords and when to use the almighty power chord. His playing is incredibly refined, and has never complimented Geddy's bass more. He uses the “chorus” effect much more, throw in some reverb, and what you get is an amazing tone. The whole thing just blends together so seamlessly.

“Xanadu” is probably one of the best songs Rush has ever written. It has everything I mentioned above, and also shows how much Rush has learned when writing progressive songs. One of my complaints in earlier albums (namely “Caress of Steel” and “2112”) is that their longer songs just sounded pieced together. “Xanadu” is the first evidence that they have finally learned how to make a prog epic that flows seamlessly as one piece of music. And just listen to the bassline in “Cygnus X-1”. With those two tracks alone, it seems as if Rush woke up one day and went, “Ah, now I know how we should play!” And decided to just lay out some of the best music ever recorded.

Though the longer songs are the stars of this album, “Closer to the Heart” was one of Rush's first radio hits and is a concert mainstay to this day. Sadly, the other two shorter tracks, “Cinderella Man” and “Madrigal”, drag the album down a bit. It is obvious they poured all of the energies into “Xanadu” and “Cygnus X-1”, and even though they aren't terrible songs, they aren't very strong, either. It is easily forgiven considering how incredible all of the other songs are.

I hereby give this album a 9/10. Near perfect, if it weren't for the two clunkers mentioned above. I also fear I haven't given Neil Peart much credit in my review. Rest assured, his skills are as incredible as ever. He is so good on his instrument, that I feel it just goes without saying. Listen and be amazed. Without a doubt, this album is a Rush must.

Last edited by duga; 05-13-2010 at 05:49 PM.
duga is offline   Reply With Quote